It seems ages since I have even stopped to post an update on Facebook, so I have decided to post recent events here :)
Christmas in Colorado! We had a wonderful time getting to visit with the CO Horners (as I like to call them) as well as my sister and her family and the VA Horner (Elijah!). We arrived after an extended stay in NE, due to an accident on the icy roads. Thankfully, no one was injured, except the car, which required a safety check and minor repairs to be able to safely continue onto CO. The car will need some bodywork, but it is still in drivable condition today! So, we said farewell to Ogallala, NE and completed our trip to CO with no further drama.
Our family was greeted by Elijah and my sister's family, who had already arrived :) Mary Jo and George were in the hospital for her Chemotherapy treatment. We were able to visit them in the hospital and spend several hours on Christmas Eve visiting and catching up :) While we were visiting Mary Jo, Caitlyn was enjoying the snow that arrived before and during our trip to CO!! There was plenty of snow for forts, snowmen and whitewashing apparently (a term I was previously unfamiliar with!!) Then there was Pinochle, always a pleasure!
Christmas was especially nice since Mary Jo was released in the morning and was home to enjoy the festivities! Tyra worked hard on homemade cinnamon rolls and we enjoyed mimosas later in the afternoon. Then it was time to begin opening the very large piles of gifts which were given (for a total of 16 people)!! Tyra also brought Fudge puddles and Cranberry/Orange loaves, which were enjoyed by all :) Tyra prepared a lovely Christmas dinner, after which we had a choice of games to play (as usual), so we started with Lydia and Jerusha's gift -- Things :) That was a riot and according to their rules we all won due to the laughs created by some outrageous responses!?!
Lydia and Jerusha's new game -- Quelf -- was next. There were some crazy antics including sitting on Santa's lap and Tyra practically standing on his head to drink a glass of water!! We enjoyed the movies UP (Thanks Talia for the soft, snuggly blanket, it is wonderful!) and Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. There were many attempts to beat the new Super Mario Wii game (a b-day gift to me from Tyra) and also the Wario treasure game that Josiah received for Christmas! So basically we played all kinds of games, stayed up late, and enjoyed some quality time with those we love. We also made it home safe and sound, for which we are very grateful!
After arriving home, I immediately returned to work, for a couple days anyway. I was recently hired as an analyst for BP in Lisle and am currently working just up the street from my old job. During my first week I had a cold, which was rather miserable, but now that I have started working on the tasks I will be responsible to handle, work is looking very promising. The people I work with are very nice and professional and there is an air of expectation that is refreshing. Good things are going to happen, change will be made and it will be for the good of BP. I am so grateful for the chance to work in a full-time capacity again and in a job that will challenge me. God is so good and he has upheld our family through a very long 9 months of change and uncertainty.
After a very short week (1.75 days :)) it was time for our annual New Year's Eve bash, which we hosted in Plano this year. We had several friends who were able to join us in games and merriment (even though the ball drop was rather lame!) We played Things, Movie Scene-it and Shadows over Camelot again, all very good games; but the winner of the night was Scum :) After a late start on New Year's Day, we cleaned up the house and played Wii games. Then it was onto our new Ticket to Ride - Marklin editon, which is different than the US or Swiss versions. Tyra and I have played a couple times a night for the past three days and we are just starting to develop strategies for winning.
Today was our first day back on the normal homeschool routine (whatever that means), even though I went to work and Tyra stayed home with the kids. Tyra has been on his last break before graduation since the 16th of December and it has been great to relax and spend more time together. Before I know it (next Monday), he will begin his clinic work and our schedules will change dramatically once again. God is good though and our schedules fit together pretty well this trimester. Tyra will be graduating in August. Yay!!!
When we left CO, Mary Jo was preparing to go back into the hospital for another chemo treatment, however due to short staff over the holiday week, she will be going in tomorrow. She handled the first treatment very well, and I am praying that the treatments she will be having will continue to be as painless and non-invasive as possible. She does have to spend a couple days in the hospital and I know this is trying for her loving care-givers, so my prayers and thoughts are with you also.
just because.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are welcome and appreciated :)